Information gathering and dissemination practices relating to this Website
STEPS Programme, Engineers Ireland are responsible for operating the following websites:
The www.steps.ie website (the “Website”) is operated by the Institution of Engineers of Ireland trading as Engineers Ireland (“we”, “us”, “our”, “Engineers Ireland”). We have created this Privacy Statement in order to demonstrate our firm commitment to privacy. The following discloses our information gathering and dissemination practices relating to this Website. In order to fully understand your rights, we encourage you to read this Privacy Statement and to consult our Terms and Conditions (the “Terms”).
Each time you use this Website you will be bound by the then current Privacy Statement and you should review this each time you use the Website to satisfy yourself that you are happy with it. This Privacy Statement (together with our Terms and any other documents referred to) sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003, the data controller is the Institution of Engineers of Ireland trading as Engineers Ireland of 22 Clyde Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4.
2. Acceptance of this Privacy Statement
By using this Website, you signify acceptance of this Privacy Statement. If you do not agree with or you are not comfortable with any aspect of the Privacy Statement, your only remedy is to discontinue use of the Website. We reserve the right to modify this Privacy Statement at any time. Your continued use of any portion of the Website following notification or posting of such changes will constitute your acceptance of those changes.
3. Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide to us when using this Website. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use this Website, subscribing to our services or purchasing goods, posting material or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a competition or promotion sponsored by us, or our partners and when you report a problem with the Website.
- Information you provide to us when applying through the Website for membership of Engineers Ireland, which will typically include your name and contact details and details of your relevant educational qualifications and work experience.
- If you contact us for any reason, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of transactions through the Website to which you are a party and of the fulfilment of your orders.
- Details of your visits to the Website including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data and other communication data and the resources, advertisements and linked sites that you access.
4. Where we store your personal data
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. Such staff maybe engaged in, among other things, the fulfillment of your order, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support services. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our Website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
5. Uses made of your information
We use information held about you:
- To ensure that content from our Website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our Website.
- To notify you about changes to our Website and/or services.
We may also use your data to provide you with information about our goods and services which may be of interest to you and we or our agents may contact you about these by post and telephone.
If you are an existing customer, we will only contact you by electronic means (such as email, voicemail or SMS) with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale to you.
If you do not want us to use your data in this way please tick the relevant boxes when we collect your marketing preferences. You may change your preferences at any time by accessing the members’ section of the Website and amending your preferences accordingly.
We do not, without your consent, disclose information about identifiable individuals to third parties, but we may send anonymised statistical data to them for research and survey purposes. We may also use such information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target (for example, those in the engineering profession). We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers’ wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience. We use Google analytics – information on this can be obtained at www.google.com/analytics.
6. Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to our subsidiaries or data processers working directly on our behalf for a specified purpose, for example, external marketing companies obtaining event registrations for our annual conference. They do not keep this information and it is only used for the purpose we contract with them for. We may disclose your personal information to third parties if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our Terms and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Engineers Ireland, our members, or others.
We take your online security very seriously and this Website has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. These security measures include SSL certificates to ensure encrypted data is received as it was sent, cookies, secure servers not accessible from anywhere but the Engineers Ireland Virtual Private Network (VPN). However, as no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed as 100% secure, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us and you transfer the data at your own risk. We endeavour to use appropriate security measures at all times to protect your data.
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about how you browse our Website and is not specific enough to identify any individual user.
For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general Internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive. Cookies help us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalised service. They enable us:
- To estimate usage numbers and patterns.
- To store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our Website according to your individual interests.
- To speed up your searches.
- To recognise you when you return to our site.
9. Your rights
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the members’ section of our Website.
You can also exercise the right at any time by writing to us at 22 Clyde Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4 or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
10. Access to information
You have the right to request a copy of the information held by us about you. We may charge a fee for this which will not exceed €6.35. You also have the right to access your data, have changed any inaccuracies in the details we hold about you, the right to object to the use of your data and the right to block any specific uses of your data, by means of a request in writing to Engineers Ireland, 22 Clyde Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4 or by emailing us at email@example.com.
Questions, comments and requests regarding this Privacy Statement are welcomed and should be addressed to 22 Clyde Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.